L-2 Visa (Spouses and Children of L-1 Visa Holders)

L-2 visa is suitable for following categories of people:

  • Spouse and children of L-1 visa holders who wish to visit the principal visa holder in the U.S.
  • Spouse and children of L-1 visa holders who wish to accompany the principal visa holder.

The L-2 visa remains valid only for the duration of principal L-1 visa holder’s visa. During this period, the L-2 visa holder can travel in and out of the United States on short trips. This visa also allows engaging in study in the U.S. The L-2 visa holders (spouse) must apply for EAD (Employment Authorization Document) in case they wish to work in the U.S. L-2 visa holders (spouse) with an EAD can work freely in the country. However, the dependent children cannot work in the U.S.


The following documents are required to be submitted along with the application:

  • Two recent photographs of the applicant
  • Valid passport
  • Completed and duly signed visa application
  • Marriage certificate (original)
  • Copy of the L-1 visa approval of the primary applicant
  • Demand drafts for visa application and issuance fees


The L-2 status must be renewed when the L-1 visa is renewed. This doesn’t require the visa in the passport to be renewed, but only the status of L-2 in the U.S. In case of renewal, the visa holder needs to go to the U.S. embassy or consulate office outside the U.S.

Source of Information: www.uscis.gov